THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Saturday, August 4, 2018

HOMESCHOOL


I have officially withdrawn Becks from public school. I made the decision to homeschool him this year for 1st grade for of a few reasons: 1) I feel it pertinent for Becks and Amari to grow in their relationship before they are both in public school and what Better year to do it? I also am not happy with some of the experiences and education he got at Mcadory. I feel like his personality and potential wasn't seen by his teacher; she basically told me she checked out (she no longer wanted to be a teacher after teaching for 10 years). I know he loved it! He thrives and does so well in that type of a setting plus he is such a social lite but I just felt this was the right move. 


I'm not going to lie, I know it's going to be hard some days and I'll probably wish I didn't do it.  I'm already a bit stressed just getting organized and trying to figure out a schooling schedule. I'm also worried he won't take to the things I'm teaching him. Beckahm can be somewhat of a "no it all"; he doesn't like getting things wrong and coming across as though he doesn't know the answers which creates a lot of tension and frustration between us. I hope he can be more teachable and that he sees these 2+ hours a day as fun and educational. I'm also enrolling him in soccer, karate and he will have some PE classes at the trampoline park and of course rock climbing at moss rock. I really felt inspired by the Charlotte mason curriculum. It ended up being super expensive so I pieced together my own curriculum using a free website that has so many awesome resources, our public library which is amazing, and I have taken some ideas from the CM curriculum. I am excited to start this educational journey with him. We will be memorizing scriptures, reading poetry and learning about 3 poets a year and memorizing a few poems. We will be learning about 3 composers and 3 artists. For literature we read a chapter a day of a classic and he gets to narrate through speech or drawing what he learned. He will do math online. The bible and history will be taught together and we will make a timeline so he can see how and when everything fits together. Once a week we will have a nature study where we go out in nature and he studies something and adds it to his nature book. We will have silence experiments, learn about 7 habits using 7 habits for happy kids. We will learn some Spanish and then if course work on reading and writing. I love that the curriculum teaches self-learning and how to incorporate learning in our day to day interactions with places and things. School will be M-TH 2-3 hrs. If he does a good job he can have iPad time after school. F is somewhat of a free day with some overview work and our nature study. 


Becks got a learning DVD at the library about historical symbols and landmarks in the US. I told him he could watch it in the morning if he gave me a report on 3 of the things it talked about. He was nervous thinking he wouldn't be able to remember what he learned. I told him to draw pictures to jog his memory, plus that way he'd be doing art + history at the same time. He was excited about this idea. 

The next morning he came to me with this slip of paper. He sat me down and told me all about what he'd learned: he told me so many incredible facts about the White House, that it had a right wing and a left wing, that only one of the wings was damaged during the war, about how George Washington wasn't able to live there because it hadn't been built yet,  about a room inside the White House called "the Oval Office" because it looked like an oval; he told me who the 1st president was, he told me about the Statue of Liberty, he told me about the Bald Eagle...Mike and I were astounded to say the least! 

This, to me, is by far such a better way of educating kids—through self-learning. This experience inspired me as I'm about to start on this incredibly new home schooling journey. 








Trying to plan out a home school schedule...looks like Beckahm's got that covered ✔️😂😂. He gave this to me in the car and said "here's our schedule, all mapped out! I wake up and go sit on the couch for a bit to wake up, you come out and we snuggle, then we make breakfast and listen to our daily affirmation (yes, he said daily affirmation 😻). Then We do homeschool, do some PE, and then get in the car and go see pikachu at the zoo" 😹👏🏻👏🏻 #lovehim






Our first day meeting the local homeschoolers. I was surprised with how many kids there were and the diversity in age. I loved seeing all of the older kids surrounded by the younger kids. I'm excited for all of the events to come! #themoncurshomeschool












a










This new exciting journey of homeschooling begins TOMORROW! I'm nervous and excited all at the same time.  I have such a passion for education; I'm so excited to be learning right there alongside Beckahm. 

I've got my month planned out with fun extra curricular activities: splash pad, zoo day, science museum, field trips—farm, children's museum in Tuscaloosa, a play, a trip to the pumpkin patch—library homeschool days, and homeschool meetups with friends. 

Beckahm will be doing soccer, jiu jitsu,  rock climbing, homeschool PE at our local trampoline park and he will be doing two 5K runs this year for his physical education. 

Our curriculum this year is Charlotte Mason based but I weaved in some other curriculum I found online that I am super excited about. 

Our morning schedule will include: 

Prayer 
Scripture reading
Hymn study 
Scripture memory 
3 min positive affirmation video 
Daily weather, days of the week, month, and season chart 
Get ready for the day 

School will then be from 7-10
Beckahm and Mike will do piano (MWF) while I do speech therapy with Amari. 

Then Mike and Amari will do Pre-K (I LOVE the weekly mapped out curriculum I found for Amari—it makes learning so fun and it takes the guesswork out for me). 

This year Beckahm and I will be studying the Bible, History and Science (and how historical events and science are interconnected with the Bible so he can learn how everything works together). We will make a "timeline of centuries"—cut up pictures, events, biographies, etc—that we can hang on the wall so again, he can see how everything works together. We will also be doing history projects using file folders. 

We will be reading the classics. I LOVE the CM approach to everything: the student narrates what they have learned either through art, speech, acting, writing, etc. This helps them retain so much more information as it is more of a self-taught learning approach. 

He will be reading for 20 min a day on his own with a book of his choice. 

We will be enjoying 3 Shakespeare plays this year. At the end of each play we will either try and see it at a theater or I will rent a copy at the library. He will also have the opportunity to narrate the plays we read by acting them out. 

He will have copy work--passages from our literature, a stanza from one of our Shakespeare poems, etc. 

His math will be online with some math work sheets here and there. 

He will be learning Spanish using this awesome app I found online. 

For Geography I found these awesome books at the library along with puzzles, atlas', etc. At the end of the month we will have a themed dinner with decorations, food, music from the country we have been studying, and he can share what he learned about that country. 

We will be studying 3 artists this year and we will go on field trips to the Art Museum to see some of their work. He will have an art book designated for each artist we study and he will be able to use their methods to create his own works of art. 

He will also have open art time where he can draw/paint whatever he wishes. 

We will be studying 3 poets this year. I am so, so excited about the books I found at the library on Stevenson! He will pick one of his favorite poems to memorize and recite it at the end of each term. 

We will study 3 composers this year--listen to their works and become acquainted with their music. 

He will have computer time--learning the basics of how to navigate a computer. 

For character building we will be reading and doing a lot of activities from "The 7 habits of happy kids." This is probably the part of his curriculum I am most excited about! This is the kind of stuff he will take with him into adulthood—things that will shape him, define him, make him who he is! 

Every Friday is Nature study. We will be exploring new state parks and he has a nature journal where he can keep his findings, write about his observations, etc.

Last but not least each month we will be doing a service project as a family 

If at the end of the week he has done a good job with his school, has had a good attitude, and does well with his personal reading he either can pick something out of the treasure box or pick a fun activity to do as a family on the weekend. 

Let the school year begin! 






















































FIRST DAY OF FIRST GRADE + PRESCHOOL

It really went amazing! I love the signs Mike posted for the kids to always remember these things is something that is so important to us both.  At the end of the day Amari did so well and so did Beckahm.  He told me on our 10 minute walk around the neighborhood, that he LOVED homeschool.  and he wanted to do it all day.  

I feel so blessed and so inspired for taking this direction with his schooling.  I am grateful I get to sit next to him and give him one on one attention; that I can encourage him and reinforce positive words when he is struggling with a subject.  And I am in love with the curriculum we are learning this year and how he is learning it. 

I am so proud of Amari; he is doing so well (its been two weeks of school now).  We have seen such growth in him in this short amount of time.  I am grateful Mike can help me in the mornings with his schooling. 





























Picnic lunch, park, + donuts to celebrate 1st day of school!











 

0 comments: