THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Sunday, May 4, 2014

Tornado

Three years ago this week Tornados swept through the country causing a lot of damage.  This week we were on high alert once again for tornado weather.  The weather did not disappoint.  I was so grateful that Mike was in town till the tornados dissipated.  It was one of the scariest incidents, especially now having children.  Seeing the storm roll in I immediately thought back to my time growing up in Iowa and all of the tornados I saw touching down outside our window.  I remember having to run to the cellar for safety with my family.  These storms lasted two days, the first day was the worst.  We didn't have TV and so we were checking the alerts on our phones and we could hear the alerts resonating in the county.  My ever so thoughtful and kind neighbor, Anne, also kept knocking on our door with updates from the new station.  As the storm started to increase we got one last knock on our door from Anne who told us we had 7 minutes to evacuate before the tornado touched down.  I was so grateful that I had prepared bags and belongings for us to readily grab as we made quietly woke the boys (this was around 11:30pm) and ran to the car to drive to our friends who were taking shelter in their basement home.  I was so grateful they could provide us shelter.  Amari was a bit shaken up from being wakened in the middle of the night, but he and Beck's were really good about the whole thing, not really knowing what was going on. We waited about 20 minutes until we knew we were in the clear and then after being assured by the weather station that the tornado had left, we returned home.  Our friend, Ryan, was filming outside his basement door and he kept saying he thought he was filming the tornado which was said to be 2 miles from us, but he didn't know for sure until two days later when he played back the video and he got this still picture: 



I was in shock seeing the size of this massive tornado and even more shocked to know that it was THAT close to us.  I am so grateful we were protected by the hand of the Lord.  80 tornados swept through the country over 2 days; we were blessed to go unharmed.  

I showed Beck's videos of tornados the day after so he could understand what had happened to us and the following days and weeks he'd say "there's going to be just one more tornado" :)

This was what we captured of the storm out on our deck

0 comments: