THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Snow Storm Shuts Down Alabama




As we finished with story time at the Library we headed out to be welcomed by this: snow! Little did we know the outcome of our day. After driving out of the library I soon realized that Alabama was in a state of mayhem.  2 inches of snow and cars were already strewn on every side the road, hazard lights on, completely stranded.  We got stuck a couple of times before we finally made our way on the highway; however, getting off the highway was a nightmare, we were backed up a quarter mile for 30 minutes.  The roads to get home were extremely hilly and the Chevy was not having it.  At one point a kind teenage boy helped push us free so we could turn into a medical parking lot. The day just got worse from there. Below is a post I made on FB. 








What a crazy day this turned out to be: stuck in a snow storm with the 2 boys for 2 hours, finally a teenage boy pushed us free. Sat in a parking lot for 2 hours. Drove to find something to eat--every place was closed. Waved down a police officer who said I'd have to plan on sleeping the night in the car. Finally walked the boys to the YMCA. Mike couldn't get to me no matter his various attempts. He ended up walking 3 miles in the snow with all our gear, bless his heart. Sleeping at the Y tonight....ugh. Just another reason I hate Alabama #getmebacktoarizonanow

This truly was one of the most terrifying moments, being stranded with the boys—no diapers, no food, no milk . . . Luckily I had a few warm clothes in the car so we could brace the winter storm and walk to the Y.  

An update I posted on FB:
Just in case anyone out there is wondering my husband IS Captain America. Let me just paint a picture: from 10-5 he was driving around the state of Alabama--back roads, main roads, no roads--to come to my rescue with no success--every thing was at a standstill. He finally made it back to the apartment and said he was on his way out to find another route. I told him to pack coats, food, diapers, bottles, clothes, blankets, pillows, chargers, etc. just in case. An hour later I get a call from him--sounding like he's out of breath--he tells me there was no way the car was going to make it so he got out and started running. Dead of winter, freezing cold, carrying a suitcase, running 3 miles on black ice (taking him an hour to get to me). I couldn't believe it. I asked him why he did such a thing? "There's no way in hell I'm leaving my family stranded--even at the Y--for a night!" I have never loved this man so much in my life. What an incredible blessing! Thank goodness I walked down the aisle with Captain America so many years ago!#newsflash #superherosavestheday

So grateful Mike did what he had to in order to get to us. What a brave, heroic soul!! I honestly have never loved him more than seeing him walk into the YMCA, suitcase in tow, rosy cheeks and all.  


Our dinner and home for the night: Chinese and the YMCA. Oh joy

So we thought we were going to have to spend the night at the Y, in the group fitness room, on an exercise mat with 200 other people, till one of Mikes work buddies came to our rescue.  We offered a single dad with two kids a ride home and we all bundled up and walked a few blocks on black ice, in the snowy cold (this was around 7pm) to a gas station where our ride was meeting us.  Tears came to my eyes as we passed hundreds of cars running on last fumes, stranded in the dark outside, unable to drive up the hill.  Some good Samaritans were giving rides on ATVs—transporting people to warming stations.  I was so grateful to see how kind and generous people were in such a dire situation.  

And the service continued . . . after we finally made it home, Mike joined a couple of guys to help go back down the hilly, icy, road to the Y to rescue others.  


I have never been more grateful for my home#whilevisionsofsugarplumsdancedintheirheads #homesweethome #alabama


So my amazing Uncle (I'm claiming him as my Uncle too, even though he is Mikes Uncle) messaged me this today. I bawled my eyes out. What a relatable song! So grateful for a man that does whatever it takes to provide for and protect his family. He was raised by good men . Also grateful for all of these good men I've witnessed the past two days selflessly serving their fellowmen in such hard times. Thanks Christian Jensen you're the best!!

"Here's the perfect song for you and Mike! Love to see you guys and your love for each other. Just wanted to at least share one of my favorites." 







This shall be an experience we will never forget: the day Alabama shut down because of 2 inches of snow.  Lesson learned: always be prepared.  The days leading after this incident were just as crazy—people had to be rescued, people had to stay the night again at a warming station because they couldn't get home, stores were closed, people were unable to drive to get supplies.  Thankfully we had our AP family to rely on.  We all pitched in to help each other out—get and deliver goods, help people who got stranded the night before, help with babysitting, etc.  Grateful to have amazing women around especially with family so far away.

0 comments: