THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Friday, June 19, 2015

West Coast Adventures



I am so grateful we made this trip, despite how much it cost us—there is nothing more important to me than my kids creating bonds and relationships with their grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins.  I am grateful it worked out so we could be in Phx to be with Dave and his family for a few days. I miss AZ; being there confirmed once again that I want to eventually make AZ our permanent home. It was so fun watching the kids vie for Becks attention—he got a long with each of his girl cousins (found things in common with them—Ty power rangers and Pokemon, she gave him some Pokemon cards to take home; he was so excited about that; Maddox being silly, playing pretend and just having fun, he and "Tayter bug", which he ended up calling her by the end of the trip, played candy land and had fun talking to each other and playing together while the big kids were at school). Becks ignored me the whole time, it was all about proving his independency and spending time playing with his cousins. Amari loved seeing Meeka their dog, jumping on the tramp, playing with their toys, and playing with mixing cars.  We loved seeing Dave and being able to go boating with him one afternoon. Mike and Dave got to do a little wakeboarding and Becks and Amari went on the tube; Amari was a little hesitant but did pretty good for his first time; Becks loved it!  We were able to go to Ty's spring concert; it was fun to see her perform, play at the park, go to dinner, and have some good laughs with Dave. Becks idolizes Dave. Since he was born he's had this incredible affinity for "uncle Dave". This trip he followed him around like a puppy dog, loved wrestling with him, talking his ear off, and just being around him.  A few things that happened that melted my heart. Leaving to the airport I put his hair up (which he's hated lately because he wants to fit in with all the other kids), and he ran into his room, put his hat on and shut the door. I had to pry the door open, asking him what was wrong, and he said while crying, "I don't want uncle Dave to see me with my hair spiky!" My heart broke as I realized how serious his hair had become an issue for him. I told him about when he was born--with all that spiky hair and how Dave loved everything about him.  The first thing he said to me after Dave picked us up from the airport was "mom, mom, Dave has spiky hair too! Just like me" and he gave me a thumbs up :).  At Ty's concert I saw a boy with spiky hair and I tried to get his attention to point Becks out to him. The kid saw me and Becks and I pointed to Becks hair and the kid looked at Becks smiling while giving him a thumbs up :). Becks was so excited :).  At the restaurant we went to the night of Ty's performance Dave cracked open Becks fortune cookie for him and we were all amazed at what it said: "always accept yourself the way you are." Couldn't be more perfect for him!  When we had to leave he didn't want to go. He said "I'm going to miss uncle Dave and my cousins. Are we coming back after grandmas? :)" 


 We were so excited to head to OR for more fun adventures with my family. The weather was gorgeous the entire time we were there (thankfully because it had been horrible till the night we flew in), and we got to do everything we wanted to do.  Saturday we went to the grants pass parade (Amari and Becks first parade); they loved seeing the bands play, looking at all the old cars, and by the time the parade was done Becks was a pro at yelling down the people in the parade for candy. I was so impressed with how aggressive he was being :).  I was so excited and happy that Alec made it down from college in Corvallis, it's been years since I saw him last. He said "I'm so excited to finally meet your boys--I see them all the time on Instagram...they are the coolest kids!" I loved watching Alec interact with them both and to see a little relationship blossom between my boys and their oldest cousin. I have such a love for Alec, I've known him since I was young and he was just a baby. He's such a cool kid with the best sense of humor.  After the parade we went to the fair. Becks of course loved riding on all the rides, Amari attempted a plane ride (Alec was a good sport and took him on it) but he hated it (liked it a few times around but pretty much cried the whole time). We got some yummy snow cones and Chinese fair food and headed to the bridge to watch the jet boat races.  Later that evening we had a BBQ at Stacey's house—it was so good visiting with everyone and being around family. The kids loved running around the property, jumping on Stacey's tramps, Becks and Holden had an immediate connection and by the end of the trip Becks was gushing how "Holden was his best friend". Amari is still a little too young to want to interact much with kids, but he tried keeping up with the boys )he's still such a daddy's boy and really favors make figures), and he loved jumping on the tramp.  Later that night we went to a movie with Shayna, stace, and Alec. The next morning we went to church with my family and then celebrated in a beautiful birthday party that Stacey hosted for Shayna (outside Greek/Italian black dress party).  Becks and Amari loved walking around Stacy's property.  It was sad for me knowing this was my last time being on their property; I have so many wonderful memories of this place. 

Monday was Memorial Day and we were able to go put flowers and flags on Grandpa and Grandma Barbers gravesites; I was so grateful the kids got to see where their great Grandparents are buried and for them to pay respect to their ancestors.  We were able to see all of the flags the military put out on display, commemorating all of those who fight every day and who have fought for our freedoms.  I am grateful I get to pass on these traditions—a love of country and our freedoms—to my boys.  

We met up with Stace and his family at the Redwoods (Mike's first time visiting them) and walked around these incredible creations.  I have been to them so many times and their size and majesty still astounds me! It was so nice being in nature and being with my family.  We ended the day off perfectly by spending time on the Oregon coast (a first for Mike as well).  The kids loved it! Amari and the sand are best friends (he always makes a snow angel the moment his toes hit the sand).  It was so fun to be around Alec, to see the kids play with their cousins and family, to spend time having good conversations, good laughs, and soak in the majesty and uniqueness of the Oregon Coast.  I love it here! I honestly did not want the day to end.  But we did end it by going to Wild River Pizza in Brookings (our tradition when we go the beach).  

We spent the rest of the week hanging out at Jenn's farm, Stacey's ranch, catching lizards, eating Grandma's granola, Beck's helped with Jenn's bees, playing with "Tom the Cat", wrestling Grandpa, reading stories and being chased by Grandma, having fried chicken and home made ice cream with the family, playing games, jumping on the tramp, riding four wheelers, having BBQ's, my mom and I got pedicures and went out for drinks, and we were even able to go down to Ashland and explore one of my favorite places that holds so many good memories and friends of mine.

We made so many wonderful memories on this trip. . . it was hard to leave; hard to say goodbye. Beckahm did not want to go.  He was especially sad when he had to leave and he couldn't find Tom.  He started to cry, yelling out the window, "bye Tom, I will miss you!"  He made such an attachment with that cat.  

I love being home, I love all the memories I have there.  I love the bonds my children are able to make with their Grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins.  I love the moments of reflections I was able to have that motivated me to want to come home and be better, to make a change in my life and re-visit some of the parts of the girl I lost so many years ago.  

Pictures of our trip 



Amari LOVED the airport; he stayed up on this window sill forever just watching the planes and oohing and ahhing 






My little world travelers 












Arizona!! The kids LOVED every minute of this vacation.  







Lemonade stand :)







Tayter Bug's birthday 


McDonalds 




 Dinner at Oregano's and Ty's school performance. 








Beck's has loved Uncle Dave since the first time he held him in the hospital as a baby.  He followed him around like a puppy dog on our trip to AZ











We got an afternoon of boating in.  Beckahm loves the boat;  it is not Amari's favorite, but he did go on the tube with Mike and the kids.  





Tayter bug lost her first tooth!



Beck's LOVED playing with his cousins; he got along with each of them so well in their own ways.  And they were all vying for his attention.  When we had to leave tears were shed. 












































Becks was sleeping and his brother kept trying to put his fingers in his eyes and up his nose :)



Night jumping and movies with cousins; life can't get any better



Mike and I took the boys and the cousins to the jump house and to our favorite Mexican dive: Carolinas.  











They begged and begged to go in this simulation and they hated at the minute it started :)

















Off to AZ! So sad to leave AZ; it definitely feels like home and I can't wait to get back there one day. I love my brother so much; I miss him every time I go. 










Mr. Beckahm is a little Lee Eastman.  The more we were there the more I realized just how alike they are: they both are chatter boxes (I honestly do not know who talks more); they both like telling jokes, they are both exaggerators, they both can't stand the sight of blood, they are both extremely smart.  










I loved being home and seeing my children parented and loved by the parents who raised and loved me





Becks was most excited to see his buddy, Tom "the cat." He has an affinity for cats like his mama.  I too was excited to see Tom, we have such a history together.  When we left to go back home Beckahm searched and searched for him but couldn't find him to say goodbye, he was so sad he started to cry as we pulled away from the house.  He rolled down his window scanning the forests for him and yelling out "Bye Tom, I love you.," 






I love my moms view!


Grants Pass Parade: the boys first parade.  Beckahm was super aggressive getting candy and had no qualms about running up to those in the parade to give them high five :), I was so impressed.  Amari loved watching the bands and seeing all the cars. 




























Fair rides










Alec was such a trooper taking reluctant Amari on a fair ride.  Amari nearly cried the whole way but they got through it together :) 










Becks LOVES rollercoasters














Waiting to watch the jet boat races









Last time we will probably be visiting Stacey's ranch. It is sad to see them leave; I have so many memories of their place. 











Jenn's "Garden of Eden"; it amazes me every time I visit how spectacular her garden is!









Feeding chickens and finding eggs; Amari loved finding the eggs











Beckahm wanted to re-visit his tree that he planted last year 



BBQ and smores at Stacey's 















Sunday best and celebration of Shayna's birthday 













































Fireworks on the rogue 




Beckahm loved taking pictures: 










I love watching them play with the toys I played with as a child 






Memorial Day: remembering those who fight for our country, those whose lives have been lost and our dear sweet Grandparents Barber

















































I love passing on the tradition and love of our country and the importance of protecting our freedom to our children






The Redwoods





















































































There truly is no prettier coastline than the Oregon coastline 









































Amari's home: he lays down in the sand and does snow angels every time we step foot on a beach 





The kids got the biggest kick feeding the squirrels 











































I love this grown man that I have known since he was in diapers.  He made me an Aunt and I am so proud of the man he has become.  
































































I love these pics; the ocean is home to Mom and Stacey's holds her heart






























So proud of this little man over coming his fear and jumping off this rock 









Always stop at Wild River Brewing company for the best root beer and pizza after the beach 





My home: Ashland 




So good seeing friends at Paddington; so many great memories working there 





My favorite store in Ashland: Chic, European, RAD












Best Asian lunch!

































Making his first homemade ice cream with Grandma










Fried chicken and home made ice cream





Becks loved using my gloves and my bag 








My moms flowers are always so beautiful 






Fried chicken and good company



Describes Amari perfectly! Barefoot and clinging to cars




Such a great Auntie; Beck's loved hanging with Jenn.  She introduced him to his first board game 




Catching lizards 




Racing cars down the drive way with Grandpa; Beck's got a penny for every race he won; his pocket was heavy by the end of the races. 








Amari hated seeing his cars crash 






















Playing at the Rogue River 













McDonalds with Grandma and Grandpa and cousins



Summer nights; ice cream licking 


Tickles from Grandma






Grandpa made Beckahm line up all these animals clear into the kitchen :)





Wrestling Grandpa





I love his affinity for books





Girls morning out: pedicures and drinks 





I think I am addicted to this drink :) 



Hellgate jet boat ride and dinner 




























































The trash bags proved beneficial as Amari blocked mike from getting soaked :)






He passed out at the end of the ride :)


I nearly died seeing him in Jenn's bee getup.  Cutest thing ever!



Amari loved watching




So proud of him for getting this close to the bees as he is terrified going outside to play if he sees bees








Nothing like fresh honey


Last BMW ride




Selfies 


I lost 5 lbs eating hot dogs, smores, ice cream, hamburgers, cookies, candy, eating out almost every day . . . go figure.  I was excited to get home and eat some greens. 



Day after curls are the best!







I love being at home and seeing all the pictures hanging around our house; brings back memories.  




Ice cream with cousins 



Auntie Jenn teaching Beck's how to crack open eggs 




Grandpa talking on the phone to Beckahm who was talking to him on the phone in the closet 





Jenn digging up bulbs for me to plant in my garden; these Iris bulbs came from my Grandmothers garden :).  SO grateful to have a bit of my Grandmother with me in Alabama




CRAZY flight home: landed in Mesa at 10:30pm, rented a car, drove to PHX (45 min), got to a hotel at 12:30 pm, woke up at 3am and caught our flight to Houston—rushed layover, and on to BHM.  The kids were so tired to say the very least. 





 We will miss them!!












0 comments: